Social Emotional Learning
At Salt Lake Center for Science Education we are committed to providing positive experiences for all of our students and families. We value all students and will do our very best to provide the specific support that each individual student needs to reach their full potential. Our goal is to create a safe academic environment where students thrive, enjoy coming to school each day, take care of each other, and are working hard to become fully prepared for their high school years and beyond.
In order to promote student well-being our University of Utah Wellness Team will offer the following support services to students and staff:
- Individual therapy and counseling
- Group therapy and counseling
- School-wide mental health intervention with Second Step, a social-emotional learning curriculum
- Teacher consultation
Why promote student well-being and positive mental health in schools?
- Higher educational attainment- Healthy students are more alert, engaged, and better able to concentrate and learn.
- Better relationships- Developing strong, supportive relationships at school helps students feel safer, helps to increase inclusivity and prevent bullying behavior
- Healthier Lifestyles- Positive mental health and well-being is associated with better physical health, improved sleep, and increased quality of life
- Positive School Environment- Valuing student well-being helps promote a more inclusive environment, making it easier for students to engage in studies and learn
- Decision-Making and Problem-Solving- Learning to make healthy decisions and handle interpersonal problems appropriately helps students carry those healthy skills into adulthood
- Increased Access to Mental Health Services- Nearly 80% of students with mental health disorders do not receive any treatment; most who do receive services receive some or all of their services when they’re at school.
SLCSE is committed to providing positive experiences for all of our students and families.